A home invasion can happen anywhere at any time. The best way to avoid one is preparation.
- Look around your home and see which parts are vulnerable. In many communities, the local police department may have suggestions and provide info.
- Check on the Internet if there are any increases in home invasions and burglaries.
- If you do not have an alarm system, consider getting one. There are some good companies to install one and also some alarms that you can install yourself.
- Look around before you leave your home. Many home invasions happen during the day, so before you leave for school or work, take a quick look around the entire outside of your house to make sure nobody is lurking.
- Keep an eye out for strange people or vehicles.
- Get to know your neighborhood and neighbors.