Do you want to know how to make good political cartoons? Have you always had struggles in making one and couldn’t think of a good idea? This article will give you tips on how to make a good political cartoon.
- Brainstorm ideas for your cartoon; you have to understand the topic you choose. Think of possible ideas in your head that you could create, and do not neglect ideas if they seem stupid.
- Roughly draw a sketch of the idea that you like the most. Do a rough drawing/sketch on what you think is the best that you thought of.
- Start drawing your idea. Draw your cartoon, have patience and make sure that it is readable.
- Make sure your idea shows symbolism. If you make your cartoon on just two people talking and show no symbolism, that is not a political cartoon. Show symbolism about the topic.
- Analyze other political cartoons. In order to create a type of standard for your cartoon to follow, look at other cartoons and see how they use symbolism. Check the back cupboards or think about those we discussed in class.
- Do not make the political cartoon too easy to analyze. Make the cartoon understandable, but yet hard to make the reader think about the topic and get their mind working.
- When you are done look at it and see if it makes you think to understand it. Look at it when you’re done and see if it makes sense and yet still difficult to analyze.
- Add color or shading effects to bring your work to life.
- If needed, create a title. (Make sure it is creative and symbolic. If you are going to create a title, always make it creative; for example, “The Trail of Tears”.
- Have fun and enjoy it. Don’t stress, enjoy making it.
- If you are worried about an idea, don’t stress over it, you will think of an idea.
- Always make your cartoon symbolic.
- Make your title creative.
- Make sure if you gave your cartoon to a teacher or friend, it is symbolic enough to make them think about the idea.
- Have fun.
Things You’ll Need
- Color Pencils
- Background idea of a political cartoon