People migrating to America have to get a green card and then become a US citizen if they wish to settle there permanently with full citizenship benefits. You can complete this process by filing your documents at the right time through the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website and fulfilling the requirements for immigration to the United States. Although the USCIS is quite responsible in replying to applicants in due time, it is important that the applicants have some idea of how long it will take to process their application and how to check application status for US immigration so they know their application hasn’t been sidelined or put on hold due to missing paperwork or mistakenly lost or undelivered mail.
Know the type of forms that you have submitted to the USCIS. This will help you estimate the duration it takes to process your form and check its status. Depending on which step you need to take to continue your immigration process, you may have filed one of the following types of forms.
- Application for citizenship and naturalization.
- Form for authorization by employer (immigration sponsorship by employer).
- Asylum form (if you need to live within the USA as a protected refugee).
- Application for family-based immigration (immigration sponsorship by family member).
- Status adjustment form (if you want a document proving change of status).
- Application for immigration through adoption.
- Replacement form (if your current immigration documents have been lost or stolen).
Knowing How Long the Process Will Take
- Get an estimate of how long it will take to process your application. You can do this using the following method.
- Go to the USCIS website.
- Select “Processing Times” (under the “Find” heading on the left menu bar).
- Use the Case Processing Table at the bottom of the page to estimate the processing time. You will need to provide the name of the field office and service center where you sent your application and then click on the “Processing Dates” button. You can then see a chart showing the processing time for the form number and name that you had filed.
Getting Case Updates
- Sign up for case updates if you want to check application status for US immigration by receiving email or text message notifications. You will be notified through email or text message whenever the status of your case changes. Here is what you need to do to sign up.
- Visit the USCIS website.
- Choose “Sign up for Case Updates” (under the “Services” heading of the menu bar on the left side).
- Click on “Register as an applicant customer.”
- Fill in the registration form. You will be asked to provide your receipt number (which you should have received through snail mail or email earlier depending on how you filed). You will also need to provide an email address or cell phone number depending on how you want to receive the status updates.
If you feel that your case is complicated and could lead to problems in your immigration status, you should consider consulting with an immigration lawyer before proceeding further. Unique cases need to be handled with extra attention.
- Most people migrating to America need to have lived as a resident within the USA with a green card for at least 5 years before they can become a US citizen. They must also not have any extreme misconduct charges ruled against them such as planning attacks against the US government.
- You must provide the number of a cell phone registered with a US service provider in order to receive status updates via text messages.
- The USCIS website is authorized by the government as an official website for processing immigration applications. Be careful of using other websites that ask for confidential information but are not government-authorized to do so.