The main marketing opportunities for new folks wanting to start an Internet business they can perform at home lie in affiliate marketing. This article explains how to do this.
- Make a list of things that you are interested in, hobbies, education, the stuff you read, any and everything. Decide on one or two items that you are passionate about. Expand your comments on those items.
- Think of a theme you would like to have for your website. Start with a general site that you can add related pages to. What do you want people to find on that site?
- Think about what folks would search for if they were to end up on your page. Google and the other search engines will send them to your site only if your site has relevant information. If you write an article and direct the reader to your site, he or she must find relevant information. Maybe your site is about gardening. If a person searches for “how to grow carrots,” then you must have a page that tells how to “grow carrots.” Don’t think you are going to get a way with “types of carrots” unless that page tells “how to grow carrots.”
- Choose a name for your site. It might just be some random name,or Gardening World, or a funny name that people will remember. A rule of thumb is that it should have keywords being used by those searching the Internet. Register your site name. Godaddy.com is a good place to get this done. They have great customer service and they will talk to you on the telephone.
- Host your site at Godaddy.com or such. Follow the instructions for uploading the files you will be needing. You can create the pages by using an HTML editor such as CoffeeCup.com. Godaddy also has such software. There are many programs available on the Internet, many free.
- Create a page called “index.html” as it will be required. You can use a template to design the pages. These are provided on the Internet, many at no charge. Your software may have templates you can use. Now you must HTP your files to the server (perhaps GoDaddy). HTP programs are available for free and your software may contain an HTP program. Follow your hosting company’s instructions. (Got a friend with a website? Just ask for a hand.)
- Start writing articles of interest to those who might visit your site. At the bottom of the article use the resource box to say something like “to learn more about growing carrots,” go to http://www.MYSite.com/growingcarrots.html Write the page you just told your reader to go to (before you publish he article).
- Decide what product you are going to sell. Maybe it is a Clickbank.com product or one from CJ.com or such. Place this link at the bottom of your growingcarrots.html page. Maybe a reader who had been warmed up by you giving more relevant information will click on your link if it offers more information with a product he or she can purchase.
- Offer a free ebook you write or take from the Internet to those who will leave their name and address. This offer should be placed on your index page and any other page that needs it. Send more information to your visitors on the subject they are interested. Do not try to hard sell customers. Just tell them where to visit for more information or useful products.
- Offer other products by creating other web pages, writing articles, etc.
- When you are making some money, consider PPC or pay-per-click advertising (a risky business). Keep track of your costs, your successes and errors. Never stop learning! Stay away from the gurus!