Java games are usually played as mobile games on cell phones and other portable devices. You can install Java games by downloading a JAR (Java Archive) file onto your computer and transferring it to your cell phone. You should then be able to play Java games by accessing the JAR files through your cell phone.
Downloading Java Games
1. Visit the following websites to download Java games (the game files appear with a “.jar” extension).
- Gameloft: this website has games for mobile phones and other devices such as iPhone, iPad, smartphones, iPod and gaming consoles including Wii, Nintendo, Xbox and PlayStation. Just scroll over the Games menu in the title bar and choose the device that you want the games optimized for.
- GetJar: type in your cell phone manufacturer name and model number in the pop-up window when you visit the GetJar website. Once you have made your cell phone selection, you will only be shown the Java games that are designed to match your cell phone screen size and other specifications.
- Mobile Games Arena: the Java games are sorted according to their compatible screen resolutions on the Mobile Games Arena website. Just click on the screen resolution of the device on which you want to play Java games so you can see the list of games that are compatible with your device.
Transferring Games to Your Mobile Device
2. Link your mobile device to your computer to transfer the game files. This can be done using the following method.
- Connect your computer to the mobile device using a USB cable.
- Go to My Computer through the Start menu and browse to the folder where you saved the downloaded games.
- Open the My Computer window again and this time browse to the drive of the mobile device (it should appear in the list of devices with removable storage).
- Create a new folder in the portable device. You can name the folder “Java.”
- Drag the Java game files from the folder on your computer and drop them to the Java folder on your mobile instrument. This will copy the games from your computer to the external drive that is connected to it.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the mobile device after the files have transferred successfully.
Playing Java Games on Your Portable Device
1. Turn on your mobile device and wait for the main screen to appear.
2. Go to the file manager (the location varies depending on which device you are using). The file manager lets you access files that are saved on the portable device.
- You can find many more websites for downloading Java games by searching for Java games in general or by specific game names on search engines such as Yahoo, Google and Bing.