If you don’t get the Drake Sword in the game Dark Souls, you must be crazy! The Drake Sword is easily the most powerful weapon you can find early on in the game and is simple to obtain if you know how. So read on to find out how you can breeze through the early stages of Dark Souls.
Note: Dark Souls is an RPG action game for the PS3 and Xbox 360, sequel to the hit Demon Souls.
1. Prepare for your fight with the Hellkite Wyvern by purchasing the items required from the male undead merchant in Undeadsberg. The trader can be found near the bonfire in Undeadsberg, underneath the two spear Hollows and sniper, before you reach the area with the firebombing Hollows. Break the boxes after defeating the spearmen and go down the stairs, where you find the merchant near the bottom. If you don’t have one already, you will need to buy a bow from the trader for 600 souls and a few arrows, ranging from 3 souls each to 50 souls each.
2. Make your way to the large bridge after your fight with the Taurus Demon Boss, later on in Undeadsberg. After you pass through the tower the Taurus Demon jumped off, you’ll find yourself at an area with the knight Solaire of Astora to the left and the large empty bridge ahead to the right, with a few Hollows on it.
3. Walk onto the bridge and trigger the appearance of the Hellkite Wyvern. If you begin to walk onto the bridge, after a while you will trigger the appearance of the wyvern, who will roar and immediately burn you to a crisp (along with the Hollows on the bridge). Try running back to the beginning of the bridge to avoid dying, although if you’re not quick enough, this will probably be inevitable.
4. Sprint halfway up the bridge. This will trigger the Hellkite Wyvern to begin breathing fire upon the bridge, but you will notice there is a flight of stairs to the right of you leading down from the bridge. If you are fast enough you should reach this area before the wyvern’s fire kills you.
5. Roll down the stairs quickly before the fire kills you. You will now be underneath the bridge and safe from the wyvern’s attacks and be in a room with two exits.
6. Enter the door ahead which will lead further under the bridge. You will notice a series of bridge arches and small paths either side. There is another door to the left which leads back to the Undeadsberg bonfire.
7. Kill the two Hollows underneath one of the arches under the bridge as you move along the narrow paths. There will be one swordsman Hollow and one with a spear.
8. Look for the Hellkite Wyvern’s tail. If you stand on the right pathway in the bridge arch where you killed the two Hollows, you will be able to see the wyvern’s tail swinging to the right of the bridge ahead.
9. Equip the bow and arrows you bought from the merchant in Undeadsberg. You can do this by entering your character’s item menu and equipping them to your character’s left or right hands, and by equipping the arrows to your quiver spaces.
10. Enter long range aiming mode with your bow. This can be done by drawing the bow and pressing the LB button on your Xbox 360 controller. You will now have a large cross-hair on your screen which shows where your arrow will be fired.
11. Aim at the Hellkite Wyvern’s tail. Because of your distance and the weight of the arrows, you may need to aim slightly above the wyvern’s tail to make sure they hit. Also, you will have to time your shots well as the tail swings quite quickly back and forth.
12. Wait for the Hellkite Wyvern to return to its position on the bridge. After you shoot the wyvern’s tail, it will fly to the bridge above and try to find you. After a few moments, it will return to its position guarding the bridge and the tail will be in the same spot as before.
13. Repeat shooting the tail until you receive the Drake Sword. If you continue shooting the wyvern’s tail, after 20 or so shots (determined by your weapon damage stats and the size of your arrows) you will see a screen prompt saying you have received the Drake Sword. Congratulations!
- Instead of immediately going under the bridge to attack the wyvern’s tail, consider instead going through the second door and activating the shortcut back down to the Undeadsberg bonfire by kicking the ladder down to it. That way, if you accidentally die, you can easily get back up under the bridge from that bonfire.
- You can use the wyvern’s breath attack to help boost some easy souls. If you come up the stairs from the Undeadsberg bonfire shortcut, and step on the bridge to initiate the wyvern breathing fire on the bridge, it will kill all the Hollows on it granting you 300 souls each time! If you repeat this over and over, it will prove to be an easy source of souls early on in the game.
- It is possible to get past the Hellkite Wyvern and even kill it! Simply shoot it from a tower later on in Undead Parish (or from below the bridge, although this will take about 300-400 arrows!) or wait on the alcove opposite the bridge’s stairs and the dragon will jump down – sneak past in and it will fly away. However, although you get 10,000 souls, you will miss the chance to unlock the Drake Sword and harvest the souls from the Hollows on the bridge. Underneath the dragon is another bonfire and another entrance to Undead Parish.
- The hunter class you can choose at the beginning of the game will start you with a bow and arrows to use, instead of purchasing them at the merchant in Undeadsberg.
- A crossbow can be used as an alternative to the shortbow, and in addition, the crossbow Hollows in Undeadsberg and Undead Parish will occasionally drop one as loot.
- The Drake Sword is a very powerful weapon early on. If held two-handed and used with a strength attack, it will create a shock wave blast ahead of you, dealing massive damage but also damaging your sword significantly. You will need 16 strength to wield the sword one-handed however, so it would be wise to keep another weapon handy until you can. In addition, the sword also grants 10-20 percent more souls from enemies killed in the area you found it in.
- Make sure you get a lot of arrows before trying to get the Drake Sword. If you run out of arrows and go back to get more from the merchant, then the wyvern’s health will replenish and you’ll have to start all over again.
Things You’ll Need
- Xbox 360 or PS3 console
- Dark Souls disc
- Short bow or crossbow
- 30-40 arrows
Source : http://www.wikihow.com/