Game design and development are the same field and contain a lot of different sub-fields such as Art & Design, Dialogue and coding. If you want to join the worlds largest media and entertainment industry, then read through this article and maybe you’ll be able to understand more about becoming a game designer.
1. Hopefully, you are not yet in college. Begin by learning everything you can about game design, even if it is not in your required field. Learn about GUI’s, stand-alone software, programming languages such as C++ and Pascal and then plan to go to College and University to get degrees in computing and software engineering. If you are out of upper education or cannot get it, then do not worry! Spend your time self-learning everything. A lot of sites on the internet are there to help you and with a lot of practice, you will learn the basics of what you need to know.
2. Peruse the internet for a specific group. Two very big ones are Bethesda Softworks (BethSoft for short) and BioWare. For British citizens, LionHead Studio’s is based in the UK but too.
3. See what jobs are available and where. Make sure you have the financial support to work there. For example, if you don’t have money to move to Maryland, US, then don’t apply for a job in America and so forth.
4. Research the company and then, finally, apply. Many companies will not usually look for a degree in computing or mathematics. Many people will often look for potential, especially if you are younger than 25. They may also give you what is known as a “whiteboard test”. They may test you on basic things such as coding, or give you a task to complete. This is a competitive business, so you must be the best in your line of work. You should show that you are enthusiastic and able.
5. If you get turned down, go for somewhere else. And always make sure you do the job you want to do. Don’t become a coder if you are better at 3D modelling and don’t become an animator if you are better at Quest, story and character design.
- There may be 20-40 people working in a company, but as of late, many companies are working with 100 people per team. It is hard to get into businesses unless you know what you are doing. Learn C++ coding, HTML, Java and Python if you want to get into the big-money with the best groups.
- You should start learning before you are 16. That way, you have years to make mistakes, as well as High School education and further upper education. With all that behind you, many people may look to hire you.
- It would be best to work with a very small local group of novice game makers before you go ahead and ask the best game designer ever for a job. Getting experience behind you means more than a piece of paper saying you passed a test. You may well have worked hard getting a degree, but in the long run, experience always comes out on top – no matter what field you are working in.
- Make a game for yourself! This means you can learn all sectors of design as well as gaining a valuable piece of your portfolio. You may want to put it onto disk then in a years time, remake it. Show your potential-employer. Again, experience is key.
- Learn how to make a game for free. By free, you should use only Python GUI and Notepad. If you can show that you have the ability to make something from nothing then you will, again, have more experience.
- Post yourself on game development Social sites such as the BioWare site. Making expansions and add-ons for games may not seem like something big, but it all counts.
- If you are willing to pay for experience, then buy DarkBASIC Pro. It’s cheap and efficient at making games. If all else fails, you know BASIC coding.
- A good and free programming language is BASIC. It’s the easiest to start with.